Christie Point Advocates is pleased to share that View Royal Town Council has accepted our request to speak to them about Realstar’s proposed rezoning and redevelopment plans.
We will appear before Council and Mayor Screech on Tuesday January 17th at 7 pm at the View Royal Town Hall.
This is an important meeting. It is strongly encouraged that all Christie Point and Portage Inlet residents attend. Please arrive early.
There are 3 reasons you need to be there:
1. A big crowd shows Council the issue matters to the community
2. To speak to Council directly about your concerns
3. Realstar is not on the agenda: WE are.
Many of us have not attended a Council meeting before. Don’t let that stop you. If you don’t want to talk, that’s fine…but you are needed there as a show of support.
We can give you tips on how to best phrase your concerns if you aren’t sure what to say. Please email christiepointadvocates@gmail.
How does the meeting work?
Anyone can comment during Public Participation Period. This happens right after our presentation at 7 pm:
3. Keep it short. You may want to tell everyone everything you think about the project. To be honest – that isn’t helpful during this meeting.
Here are some tips to make sure Council and Mayor Screech listen to you:
3. Ask a specific question: council can try to get an answer from Realstar
4. Don’t repeat the same points as everyone else: if someone made a really great comment and stole your thunder, just say you agree with that person and comment on something else you care about
5. Be respectful: Mayor Screech and the Councillors are ordinary people who live in this community and are just doing their job
6. Know your stuff: read Realstar’s plans or at least the one issue you care about; review our Considerations page, or check out some coverage on our Resources page
Here’s an example of what you might say:
Thank you for your time.
1. Share this blog post on Facebook and Twitter – use #protectChristiePoint
2. RSVP to our Facebook group event
3. Invite everyone you know
4. Offer to drive a neighbour
5. Write one thing you would say to Council
6. Write one question you have for Council
7. Arrive early!
This is your community. Your opinion and participation matter!
We can help arrange carpools if you need a ride. Please email christiepointadvocates@gmail.
See you there!